2018-2019 University Catalog 
    Jun 24, 2019  
2018-2019 University Catalog

Housing and Residence Life Policies

Return to Student Handbook Home  



The mission of Housing and Residence Life is to serve as a bridge to interdependent living, global citizenship, and responsible decision-making. We strive to cultivate a safe environment while working to advance personal growth, build independence, foster respect for self and others, and model an inclusive community.  Residents are subject to all rules and regulations of the Student Conduct Code of Furman University and Housing and Residence Life Policies and Procedures.

Housing and Residence Life Policies

Alcohol Containers

  1. In the residence halls, students may not possess and/or display empty alcohol containers or paraphernalia.  This includes, but is not limited to cans, bottles, cases, bongs and shot glasses.
  2. In the apartments, possession of excessive amounts of alcohol and the display of alcohol containers is prohibited even if residents are 21 years or older.
  3. The production of alcohol in campus housing is prohibited.

Animals in Campus Housing

  1. Animals in Campus Housing

Animals other than service animals or approved assistance animals are prohibited in campus housing (other than fish in containers not to exceed 10 gallons).  Keeping any animal for a family member or friend or having a family member or friend visit with any animal other than a service animal for any length of time is prohibited.

A resident determined to be responsible for keeping an animal in or near campus housing in violation of this policy may be subject to a $300 fine and other sanctions.  Other residents within an apartment or room where the animal is found may also each be subject to fines and other sanctions.  Subsequent offenses will result in a doubling of any previous fines and may subject the resident(s) to student conduct action. In addition, the resident responsible for the animal will be responsible for all damage and cleaning costs resulting from the animal.  Any animals discovered in violation of this policy must be removed within 24 hours following the notification of the violation by Housing and Residence Life.

  1. Animals on Campus

Except as provided above with respect to campus housing, animals are permitted on campus property only in outdoor areas open to the public and provided that they are controlled by a leash or harness.

  1. Service and Assistance Animals

Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in Sections 1 and 2 above, the University welcomes the presence of trained service animals assisting people on campus in areas open to the public and in campus housing consistent with the provisions of the University’s Service and Assistance Animal Policy and applicable law.  The University is also pleased to allow approved assistance animals that are necessary to provide individuals with disabilities an equal opportunity to use and enjoy campus housing consistent with the provisions of the University’s Service and Assistance Animal Policy and applicable law.

Residents must be approved for an assistance animal by the Student Office for Accessibility Resources.

Balconies, Patios, and Porches

Personal outside storage for North Village residents is restricted to the confines of the assigned balcony or patio and may not extend over railings or be suspended from outside walls or columns.  North Village residents may store bicycles or deck furniture on their assigned patios or balconies.

  1. Storage of any items on the balconies or porches of Lakeside Housing and South Housing is prohibited.
  2. University-owned furniture is not permitted on the balconies or patios.
  3. The hanging of hammocks, flower planters, wind chimes or other items on balconies is prohibited. 
  4. Throwing or lowering any object, including furniture, water balloons, trash, food, liquids or cigarette butts, from balconies, patios, or porches is prohibited.
  5. The display of signage/flags on porches, balconies or patios is prohibited.


University Police requires students to register their bicycles annually with their office and recommends that students lock their bicycles to bike racks provided outside each building.  To prevent the risk of damage or larceny, residents should take bicycles home for the summer. Bicycles may be stored in rooms with the permission of a resident’s roommate(s).  Bicycle owners are responsible for any damage or uncleanliness caused by their bicycle.

  1. Bicycles, rollerblades, skateboards and scooters are not to be ridden inside any part of campus housing.
  2. Bicycles left unattended in hallways, stairwells or other public access or exit areas are in violation of fire safety codes and are subject to being impounded. 

Building Security and Access

Access to the residence halls is controlled by a card system.  Every student is issued a card, which serves as a means of identification.  Students are required to carry their cards with them 24 hours a day and use them for access to campus housing.  Students who lose their cards must report the loss immediately so that the building can be secured.  Each card is the property of Furman University and is for the sole use of the person to whom it was issued.

Each resident is issued one key to their room when checking in at the beginning of an academic term.  Keys are for personal use only and not to be given to other residents or guests. 

  1. Propping open or otherwise tampering with the access control and alarm system is strictly prohibited.
  2. Access to any room other than a resident’s assigned room is strictly prohibited.
  3. Students are prohibited from making copies of university keys.
  4. The use of a university master key to gain or provide entry into a residence hall room, apartment, storage, maintenance area, office, or roof area is strictly prohibited without the direct permission of Housing and Residence Life staff.

Community Responsibility

Residents are responsible for what occurs within the residence hall rooms and apartments to which they have been officially assigned as well as the larger hall and building community.

  1. When a policy violation occurs within a residence hall room or apartment, each resident of the assigned space may be held accountable.
  2. Uncleanliness or damage to community property such as restrooms, hallways, kitchens, lobbies, fire equipment, laundry rooms, exterior lighting or exit signs will be the responsibility of all students assigned to that particular area, unless the responsible individual or group can be established.  For continued uncleanliness of common spaces, students may be fined per reported incident.

Construction and Decorations

  1. Making architectural changes to a room (such as building shelves, attaching anything to the walls or ceiling, paneling walls, wallpapering walls, installing screen doors, altering lighting or other electrical features, attaching mirrors to walls or doors, etc.), installing personal door or window locks, is prohibited.
  2. Students are prohibited from attempting to patch and/or paint walls, doors or other surfaces on their own.
  3. Use of tape, contact paper, double-sided foam tape, nails, screws, and hooks are prohibited.  Poster putty or removable mount squares are recommended alternatives.
  4. The installation and/or use of web cams on the exterior of rooms/apartments is prohibited.

Damage and Vandalism

  1. Residents are responsible for damages to university property.
  2. The removal of any doors in North Village is prohibited.
  3. Residents will be held accountable for damages having occurred as a result of horseplay, malicious intent, neglect and/or failure to report in a timely manner.

Fire Hazards

  1. Residence hall and apartment hallways, stairwells and landings are to remain free of any materials at all times. The Housing and Residence Life staff reserves the right to remove and dispose of any articles in these areas at any time.
  2. Grills or other flammable devices are prohibited in or near campus housing (including porches and balconies). This includes, but is not limited to gas cans, charcoal, lighter fluid, and grills of any kind.
  3. Extension cords are prohibited in campus housing. The suggested alternative is a power strip with an internal safety circuit breaker.
  4. Only sealed-unit appliances such as coffeemakers, popcorn poppers and George Foreman grills (the small ones) are permitted in student rooms. Additional microwaves and refrigerators are prohibited, except for apartments which are not already equipped with these appliances. The following may not be used in student rooms: open-faced electrical or heating appliances (such as broilers, space heaters or toaster ovens).
  5. The following items are prohibited in campus housing: mopeds/scooters, any type of flammable fuel or substance (i.e. gas, butane, propane), candles, oil lamps, incense or lamps with halogen bulbs, string lights, rope lights, pre-lit garland or trees, fiber optic trees/lights, electric blankets, live cut trees or live garland.
  6. No flags or other coverings may be placed under or over electric lights, heat-actuating fire detection devices, smoke detectors, or fire extinguishers in campus housing. Covering or hanging anything on or near sprinkler heads, removing electrical switch/outlet covers and alternating and/or adding electrical fixtures is prohibited.

Fire Safety

Rooms in campus housing are equipped with smoke detectors for fire safety. Residents should be aware that the smoke detectors are extremely sensitive to smoke, heat and aerosol sprays. Burning popcorn, burning food on the stove, smoking in the room/apartment, steam from extremely hot showers and spraying air fresheners can potentially set off a fire alarm, so residents are encouraged to be careful when engaged in these activities.

Fire safety equipment can be easily damaged if those without proper training tamper with it. To avoid fines associated with damaging and/or tampering with such equipment, either accidentally or intentionally, students should call the appropriate officials when problems occur. Smoke detector and sprinkler problems should be immediately reported to University Police at 864.294.2111. 

  1. Residents may be held responsible for inadvertently causing a false fire alarm due to burning food or popcorn, smoking in the room/apartment, spraying air freshener, etc.
  2. The tampering, damage, or misuse of fire safety equipment, alarms, extinguishers, exit signs, and smoke detectors is not permitted.  This includes touching, hanging any items from, or covering sprinkle heads and smoke detectors.
  3. Residents and guests should evacuate the building immediately and follow all directions of emergency responders, staff, and/or the voice system.

Health and Safety Inspections

Housing and Residence Life staff members will conduct health and safety inspections per the Living Unit Entry, Inspection, Search and Confiscation Policy.  Residents are responsible for cleaning their rooms and apartments (including suite/apartment bathrooms) to a level considered acceptable by the University in its reasonable discretion.

Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning Units

Student rooms are equipped with thermostats for temperature control.  To avoid fines associated with damaging and/or tampering with such equipment, either accidentally or intentionally, students should call the appropriate officials when problems occur.  Thermostat problems should be immediately reported through the maintenance request form online. 

The Facilities Services staff routinely check and change filters in the HVAC units of all rooms and apartments. Students should not block or cover the units in any way and must maintain a minimum of three feet open space in front of the units so that access can be gained and so that air flow will not be interrupted.

  1. Failure to remove items from in front of the HVAC units when notified. 
  2. Tampering with HVAC controls and/or thermostats in an effort to alter the campus-wide set range is prohibited.

Lofts and Furniture

  1. University furniture may not be transferred from one room to another or exchanged between rooms, nor removed or stored elsewhere in the building or off-campus.
  2. Residents are prohibited from stacking any furniture (i.e. desks, dressers, etc.) on top of each other.
  3. Only lofts provided by Housing and Residence Life are permitted in university housing.
  4. Only Housing and Residence Life staff or an approved contractor may assemble or disassemble lofts and other university furniture.
  5. Waterbeds and forms of alternative bedding other than the lofts mentioned above are prohibited.


In campus housing, it is imperative that all residents respect the rights of others living near them. In the apartments, residents need to respect those who live above, beside and/or below them. Residents who feel that their neighbors are being too loud are encouraged to talk with their neighbors about the disturbance and/or contact the RA On-Duty if the disturbance fails to immediately cease.

  1. The following quiet hours have been established:
    • Sunday-Thursday 9:00 p.m. to 9:00 a.m.
    • Friday and Saturday 11:00 p.m. to 11:00 a.m.
  2. Residents or student groups who use community spaces within the residence halls or apartments (i.e. Judson Hall Lake Level Lounges, North Village J Community Center, NV Shelter) for activities or events also need to respect the residents who live adjacent to those community spaces. The Judson Hall Lake Level Lounges are available throughout the night as study spaces. Quiet should be maintained during this time. There may be occasions where groups are given special permission to have events that extend beyond this deadline.
  3. Any use of sound equipment should be confined to the individual student’s room and should be at a level that does not disturb other residents. Stereo speakers may not be placed in windows or on apartment balconies with the intent of listening to the stereo outdoors.
  4. Courtesy hours are in effect at all times. Student staff members and all residents have mutual responsibility for encouraging peers to be courteous about noise levels. Any student has the right to respectfully approach another resident or group who is creating noise via a loud stereo or other means. Anyone approached about noise levels should make an effort to decrease the noise and contain it within their room.
    The playing of percussion, brass, string, woodwind or electric instruments is prohibited in campus housing except in practice room areas located in Lakeside Housing (all courtesy and quiet hours apply).


Painting of any kind is prohibited within all areas of campus housing (such as rooms/apartments, community spaces, kitchens, bathrooms, balconies, patios, porches, etc.). Students or student organizations who wish to paint should paint outside and away from the building on grass or a temporary board or tarp that will not discolor sidewalks or pavement. Students and student organizations will be held accountable for any damages caused by unauthorized painting within campus housing.


  1. All trash and debris must be placed in university dumpsters or recycling bins adjacent to the residential facility.
  2. Trash may not be left in hallways or outside of rooms/apartments for any length of time.

Disposal of personal room/apartment trash in public area (kitchen, laundry room, hall bathrooms, etc.) trash cans is not permitted.

  1. Dumpster diving defined as the act of climbing or jumping into a dumpster for the reason of obtaining any items which have been placed in the dumpster, is strictly prohibited.


Residents and their guests are not permitted to access the roofs or ledges of any campus housing facility.

Sports in the Halls

Horseplay and playing sports in campus housing may result in damage and/or injury.  Students are reminded to play outside.

Hitting, bouncing and/or throwing objects such as Frisbees, balls, water, etc. in interior hallways, breezeways, porches or apartments/rooms is prohibited.

Use of Campus Housing for Business Purposes

The use of a residence hall room or apartment as a sales or service office (including any Internet sales or business) or storeroom, without permission in writing from the University Student Businesses Committee, is prohibited.  Students interested in launching and/or operating a business on campus must submit a formal proposal to the Director of Auxiliary Services to be reviewed by the Student Businesses Committee.


Housing and Residence Life reserves the right to fill all vacancies.  If a space becomes available in a room because a roommate has not been assigned or a roommate moves out, residents must keep the vacant space ready for a new resident by ensuring the following:

  • One bed is clear and unobstructed
  • One desk is emptied and cleared
  • One set of drawers is emptied and available
  • One closet or wardrobe is emptied and available
  • All university furniture is present and set up correctly in the room
  • Space is available in common area cabinets, closets and bathrooms (North Village and the Vinings).
  • The room and/or apartment will be cleaned to a level considered acceptable by the University in its reasonable discretion.

Residents may not permit another person to live in or utilize the vacant space without being officially assigned by Housing and Residence Life.  All room changes must be approved through Housing and Residence Life.

Residents who engage in conduct designed or intended to dissuade or intimidate other students from moving into a room or who otherwise attempt to manipulate the housing assignment process may be subject to conduct action.  This includes not responding to phone, email or other attempts to contact.

Visitation and Guests

The following policy concerning guest visitation in campus housing has been established to provide balance of freedom, privacy and safety for on-campus residents. Within these guidelines, roommates should jointly determine when guests will be allowed in individual rooms. Abiding by these policies helps maintain a safer environment while respecting the rights of others in campus housing. Individuals who violate these standards (through propping open entrances and exits, etc.) place at risk everyone who lives in campus housing, and anyone found responsible for such infractions will be subject to student conduct action.

All residents have the right to live in their room/apartment without the interruption of others whom they do not want to be in their living area. A resident must have the support of their roommate/apartment mate for all guests brought into the room/suite/apartment.

  • Visitation privileges are subordinate to a resident’s right of privacy within their room. The presence of guests should in no way interfere with the rights of the roommate(s) or other residents. Visitation privileges may be revoked if it is determined that individuals are violating the rights of others.
  • Card access is granted to and intended to only be used by residents. Visitors may not use a resident’s access card or key to gain entry to a campus residence.
  • Student staff members have the authority to request proper identification from individuals visiting campus housing. Those individuals unable to provide ID upon request will be asked to leave and/or be reported to Housing and Residence Life or University Police.


  1. Guests are defined as visitors who are not assigned to the room/apartment. Residents are responsible for their guests’ conduct. This includes hosting prospective students.
  2. Guests must be accompanied by their student host while in campus housing.
  3. No resident may have an overnight guest in campus housing for more than two consecutive evenings without written permission from the appropriate Housing and Residence Life official.

Residence halls

The following common areas of the residence halls are open 24 hours daily: Daniel Lounge, Earle Lounge, Geer study rooms, Judson Lake Level Lounges, and Judson lobby.

  1. Visitors of the opposite gender are permitted to visit in student’s rooms in residence halls during the following times:  10:00am-2:00am.


Housing and Residence Life offers North Village and Greenbelt housing residents a self-regulated visitation program through which the residents mutually agree upon and sign a contract related to their visitation hours. If residents cannot mutually agree upon visitation hours, the visitation hours set for residence halls by Housing and Residence Life are in effect.


Cohabitation is prohibited. Cohabitation is defined as sleeping/staying in the room for more than two (2) nights consecutively or more than six (6) nights in a month; using the bathroom or shower facilities as if one lived in that suite/apartment; keeping belongings, such as clothes and books, in the room as if one lived in that room/suite/apartment; or the use of a space which infringes on the rights and privacy of residents in the living area.

Windows and Screens

  1. Throwing any object, including water balloons, trash, food, liquids or cigarette butts, from windows is prohibited.
  2. Residents may not remove window screens for any reason. Residents will be fined for damage to or removal of window screens based on the actual cost of replacement.
  3. Sitting in open windowsills is also prohibited.
  4. Residents may not display any flag or signage in the windows of campus housing that is clearly visible from the outside of the building.
  5. The display of any signage in the windows of campus housing facilities that would interfere with the integrity of campus housing facilities is prohibited.

Housing and Residence Life Procedures

Abandoned Items

Items left by students after completing the check-out procedures are considered abandoned and will be disposed of during the cleaning process.  Should a student become aware that they left an item in the room, they should contact Housing and Residence Life immediately.  Return of any left items is not guaranteed.  The University and Housing and Residence Life cannot be held responsible for any items left after checkout.

Check-in Procedures

  1. Freshman students check-in with the resident assistant of their assigned residence hall when they arrive on campus.  Detailed information about parking and the check-in location will be sent to students prior to move-in day.
  2. Upperclass students will check-in at their area offices (Lakeside=Judson, South Housing=Poteat, North Village/Greenbelt=North Village J 200 meeting room).
  3. At check-in, you will receive your key(s).  Residents will be provided an opportunity to document any pre-existing damages or issues with their room(s) in order to avoid charges at the end of the academic year.

Check-out Procedures

  1. Housing and Residence Life expects that residents will do their part to check out properly. All residents, except those who are graduating, assisting with graduation (singers, marshals, ushers, etc.), working for the university, or staying for May Experience, are required to be out of campus housing within 24 hours after their last exam. An extension is provided to graduating seniors until after the completion of commencement exercises. 
  2. Housing and Residence Life expects residents who are no longer enrolled in classes at the University and/or who are taking a leave of absence to check out of campus housing within 24 hours.
  3. Students who fail to check out properly may be subject to the following fines:
    • Improper checkout - maximum of $75 - failure to sign the Room Condition Report (RCR)
    • Late checkout - maximum of $300 - failure to move out of housing by the posted designated deadline
    • Lost key(s) - maximum of $50 in the residence halls; maximum of $75 in North Village and Greenbelt - failure to return the room key(s) by the designated deadline
    • Damages - fine depends on the cost of repair/replacement and/or cleaning
  4. The Housing and Residence Life office will notify residents of specific closing procedures which must be followed before residents leave for the semester. Residents who fail to follow closing instructions will be fined for any procedures not followed and may be referred for further student conduct action.
  5. Residents will not be able to gain entry to their rooms while campus housing is officially closed.  Residents should refer to the official university academic calendar for closing dates. Residents are responsible for making travel plans in advance so that they can be out by these times and should contact Housing and Residence Life to discuss any emergency situations.

Community Spaces

Housing and Residence Life provides meeting locations in the residence halls, North Village and two outdoor spaces that student groups may reserve at no charge (except for weekends in the North Village Community Center). In order to reserve one of these locations, residents or student groups should complete the meeting space request form on the Housing and Residence Life website. Requests will be reviewed and must be submitted with a minimum 24-hour notice in order to be considered. A request does not guarantee that the room is available.

Access to community spaces

Access to the building and meeting room will be granted to the individual or individuals who are listed as responsible for the meeting space. Availability begins 30 minutes prior to and ends 30 minutes after the requested meeting times. The individual responsible for the meeting/event must “check-in” and “check-out” at the appropriate RA office.


Only free standing decorations or table decorations are allowed in community spaces. Hanging or taping materials on ceilings, floors or walls is prohibited. All items, such as props and/or decorations must be removed from the area immediately after the event. Housing and Residence Life cannot provide storage for such items. Furniture layout in each room is noted on a diagram near the entrance. It is important that at the end of each meeting, the furniture is rearranged according to the diagram. Reserving organizations will be responsible for any damages, and a setup fee will be charged if the room is not left arranged as indicated on the diagrams posted in each room.

Responsibilities of scheduling groups

It is the responsibility of each group reserving the community space to be aware of all rules and regulations regarding the scheduling of these facilities. The group representative who submits the request form accepts responsibility for ensuring that all rules and regulations are followed. Groups should remove all trash when they are finished with using the community space. Groups will be held financially responsible for all damages which occur during their use, and also for clean-up which exceeds normal use.

Early Arrivals

Because the time allotted to prepare buildings for the opening of school is limited, early arrivals must be kept to a minimum. Only groups whose functions are institutionally required and operationally necessary will be permitted to arrive early. The leaders, administrators, or faculty for the group are responsible for making prior so inquiry with Housing and Residence Life for approval. Any group or individual who needs to move in early must submit an Early Arrival request as outlined on the Housing and Residence Life web site. A Housing and Residence Life official will review the request and determine whether the group/individual will be allowed to move in early.

Students approved to move in early are expected to abide by all university policies.  In cases where a student violates a policy, their early arrival permission may be revoked and they may face immediate departure from campus until the official move-in date.

Individuals who move in prior to their official check-in date without authorization, as well as any student(s) who assisted or knowingly allowed the unauthorized early arrival, are subject to a $50 fine per day.

Housing Assignments

Refer to the Housing and Residence Life web site for more detailed information regarding assignments policies and procedures.

Residential requirement

Studies have shown that students who live in campus housing are more likely to become involved in campus activities and graduate in four years. As a result, Furman requires that all students live in campus housing for the first four years after their start year in college, except those approved by the Director of Housing and Residence Life.  Housing and Residence Life expects residents who are no longer enrolled in classes at the University and/or who are taking a leave of absence to check out of campus housing within 24 hours.

Guarantee of space

Since all students are required to live on campus, they are guaranteed campus housing. However, the university still considers the right to live in campus housing a privilege. Therefore, the Director of Housing and Residence Life reserves the right to deny space in campus housing to any student even though approved for admission or continuing to be enrolled at the university.

New student room assignments

All housing assignments are made by the Assistant Director of Housing and Residence Life Administration and/or the Assignments Coordinator. All incoming students must submit a housing assignment request form which is usually due the first week of June. For the exact deadline, students should refer to the New Student web site.  Any room change must first be approved by the Assistant Director for the area in which the student lives.  Any unauthorized room changes are prohibited and subject to a $75 fine.

Upperclassman room assignments

Upperclassman room assignments are made in the spring semester through an online room assignment process. The “housing lottery” is designed to assign students in a fair manner based on the students’ random entry time. In addition, third-year and fourth-year students are not guaranteed North Village or The Vinings. The Housing and Residence Life office will notify students a semester in advance whether they will have the option to pay to reserve their space while studying away.  Any room change must first be approved by the Assistant Director for the area in which the student lives.  Switching bedrooms within an apartment in North Village or Greenbelt without first obtaining approval from the Assistant Director of North Village is considered an unauthorized room change and thus subject to a $75 fine.

Senior Overflow at The Vinings

The Vinings is an apartment complex located on Duncan Chapel Road that accommodates both Furman students and members of the local community.  When additional space is needed to house undergraduate day students, The Vinings will be used to satisfy the residential requirement.  Rising fourth-year students may enter the Vinings lottery for the chance to live in this University-owned facility. Students may sign a 12-month lease (May to May, to include summer housing) or a 9-month lease (August to May, to exclude summer housing).  Refer to the Housing and Residence Life web site for current housing rates.

Off-campus exemptions

Each spring semester, students may apply for an off-campus exemption for the following academic year if they satisfy one of the criteria listed below:

  • living with a parent/guardian at the primary residence
  • living in an officially recognized fraternity house
  • living in the Vista house
  • married
  • dependent exemption
  • medical/disability exemption
  • financial hardship exemption

All off-campus exemptions must be approved by the Director of Housing and Residence Life or his/her designee in consultation with Student Life. The University reserves the right to deny an individual’s request at its discretion.

For a fraternity house to be officially recognized, it must meet the following requirements:

  • The individual(s) applying to live in the house may not have any conduct violations within one year from the date of the application. Moreover, the individual(s) may not have any outstanding conduct sanctions.
  • At least one individual(s) applying to live in the house must be a current member of the organization’s executive or leadership board.
  • All individuals applying to live in the house must be scheduled to graduate within the next academic year.
  • All individuals applying to live in the house must be 21 years of age or older by the time they live in the house.
  • The house must be occupied by at least one individual from the organization at all times. If the house is unoccupied for more than seven (7) straight days, the house will lose recognized status for the remainder of the academic year. The requirement that the house be occupied does not apply between the end of examinations and the start of the next academic term, fall break, spring break, and summer break.
  • The organization’s national office must certify it approves of the chapter’s chosen residence to act as the chapter’s official fraternity house.
  • The house must be in an area properly zoned for the operation of a fraternity house.
  • The house must be fit for habitability as certified by an appropriate city or county official.
  • Colonies will not be approved for an off-campus house.
  • The organization’s national office must annually provide a copy of their insurance policy to the University’s Director of Risk Management; that policy must include a provision(s) that names Furman University as an additional insured and provides commercial general liability of $1 million/$2 million aggregate.

Official recognition for fraternity houses is reviewed no less than once per academic year by the Office of Student Involvement & Inclusion. The Office of Student Involvement & Inclusion may request individuals/organizations to provide documentation that the requirements listed above have been satisfied prior to official recognition. Individuals/organizations may only apply for an exemption after official recognition is received.


Upon arrival, students obtain their key(s) from the area office in their respective area of campus housing.  Room keys will only be issued to the resident of the room. South Housing and Lakeside Housing residents receive a room key and North Village/Greenbelt residents receive a front door key along with a bedroom key.

Housing and Residence Life expects residents to lock their doors at all times.  Residents who lose their key(s) must go to their area office or the Housing and Residence Life office to order a new key. There is a charge for each lost key and the fee must be paid upon requesting new keys.

  • Lost bedroom key in a residence hall = $50
  • Lost front door key in North Village/Greenbelt = $50
  • Lost bedroom key in North Village/Greenbelt = $25 

Residents are required to return keys when vacating a room at the end of or during a semester if leaving campus housing, when making a room change, or at the end of the academic year. Failure to return keys upon vacating a room will result in a lost key charge.

Residents studying away may have the option to pay for their space and retain their key(s) during their absence (this does not apply to students taking a leave of absence that is not travel-related). Students are strictly prohibited from making copies of university keys.  Students approved for a leave of absence are required to vacate their housing assignment and return their keys to the area office for their respective area of campus.


Residents who are locked out of their rooms can go to their area office during regular office hours or call the RA On-Duty after office hours.  There is a charge of $10 per lockout.  The student’s account will be billed for this service.

Loss of Personal Belongings

Residents and parents are encouraged to evaluate their homeowner’s insurance policies since the university’s policy covers only the property owned by the University. Replacing personal items lost as a result of theft, fire, water damage, power surges or other unfortunate occurrences does not become a responsibility of the University. All residents are required to remove all personal belongings when vacating their housing space by the official deadline. The University cannot be held responsible for any items left after check out.

Lost and Found

Any items lost or found should be reported to University Police. Residents who are missing personal property are encouraged to file a report with University Police at 864.294.2111. To prevent theft, it is recommended that residents lock the door(s) to their rooms and apartments at all times. University Police will dispose of any items not claimed based on the item’s value within 39-90 days. The University cannot accept responsibility for items left behind in rooms or apartments when campus housing officially closes.

Maintenance and Repairs

Residents must report immediately to their RA any damages noted when moving into a room.  Residents will be provided an opportunity to document any pre-existing damages or issues with their room in order to avoid charges at the end of the academic year.

Residents are responsible for reporting damages as they occur by using the Maintenance Request Form.  Only university-employed staff are authorized to make repairs.

Posting of Flyers

All flyers must bear a Housing and Residence Life departmental stamp with an associated end date indicating when the flyer is to be taken down after the event promotion has concluded. Housing and Residence Life Staff will remove flyers once the event promotion has concluded. Any flyers which do not have a departmental stamp and end date will be removed immediately.

Furman University students, student organizations, or departments that would like to post informational flyers in the residence halls or apartments must abide by the guidelines outlined in the Posting of Signs and Banners Policy.

  1. Departments, students or student organizations must first fill out the “Campus Housing and Digital Flyer Request” form which can be found in the MyFurman portal and through this link: https://orgsync.com/33189/forms/240850. The Housing and Residence Life Office will verify the promoted event meets the guidelines for posting of flyers within campus housing and email the person who submitted the flyer with either an approval, denial, or questions about the event.  It is highly recommended that all flyers be brought for approval at least 3-5 days in advance of the event to be promoted.  Housing and Residence Life cannot guarantee that flyers which are brought for approval less than 3 days before the event date will be distributed by the event date.
  2. To be approved, signs or flyers promoting events on campus must contain information substantially similar to the following:  Furman University encourages persons with disabilities to participate in its programs and activities.  If you anticipate needing an accommodation due to a disability or have questions about the physical access provided, please contact [name and email address of sponsoring department contact person] as soon as possible.
  3. Once a flyer has been approved, it will be stamped with the departmental seal and a promotional end date, and the student organization/department can then make copies of the approved flyer.
  4. Copies should be brought back to the Housing and Residence Life office for distribution to student hall staff.  Student organizations may also choose to hang their flyers once they have been stamped by Housing and Residence Life.

Recycling and Trash

Recycling is a priority of the university and as such, residents are urged to do their part in recycling efforts. Recycling containers are clearly marked and can be found throughout campus housing. Residents are encouraged to recycle using the appropriate containers. Garbage which cannot be recycled must be taken to the designated dumpsters near each hall and North Village apartment building. Residents are responsible for the individual recycling bins provided in their bedroom or apartment.

Residents are responsible for the proper disposal of trash and items that can be recycled by using the dumpsters/trash compactors and recycle containers provided outside each campus housing area. South Housing residents should use the Blackwell compactor/recycle cans, Lakeside Housing residents should use the Gambrell compactor/recycle cans or the dumpster found near Health Services, North Village residents should use the dumpsters/recycle cans located in front of most buildings and Vinings residents should use the compactor/recycle cans located near the clubhouse.

Room Change Requests

Housing and Residence Life understands there are a variety of reasons students may be interested in changing their housing assignment.  For administrative reasons, students may not request a room change in the first two weeks of any semester or after Thanksgiving Break in the fall semester or after Easter Break in the spring semester.

Students should first discuss their concern and desire for a room change with their RA.  In the case of roommate concerns, speaking with everyone involved and mediating the conflict is always the first step.

All room changes must be approved by the Assistant Director for the area in which you live.  The Assistant Director will meet with the student to discuss the process and options.  If approved, the student will receive email notification form the Assistant Director that includes verification of their new assignment and moving instructions.  Switching rooms in the residence hall or bedrooms within an apartment in North Village or Greenbelt without first obtaining approval from the Assistant Director is considered an unauthorized room change and thus subject to a $75 fine.

Study Rooms

All study rooms are open 24 hours each day. Judson Hall Lake Level Lounges are set aside for study at all times meetings are not scheduled. A computer room with four terminals is located in the North Village Community Center (Bldg. J) and is accessible during the building’s hours of operation. The room is accessible to North Village residents only.

Study rooms are located in the basements of Geer, Poteat, Ramsay and Townes. Food is allowed in the study areas. However, students are required to remove all personal belongings, such as food and books, when they leave a study area for more than one hour. Quiet hours should be maintained at all times in study areas.